Firefighters were called to a nursing home in Douglas yesterday after a washing machine caught fire.
They got to Farmhill just before 12pm after staff activated a break glass alarm point.
On arrival emergency services found the industrial appliance, which was in the kitchen area, on fire.
Smoke logging was caused to the immediate area only due to the internal fire doors closing when the alarm sounded.
The Isle of Man Fire and Rescue Service says an electrical component in the machine had failed.
A spokesperson for the service added: "This incident highlights the importance of having well-rehearsed emergency procedures in place.
"Due to the good management of these procedures on this occasion disruption to the occupants of the building was minimal."