Isle of Man News - POSTED Sun 09-03-2014

14 year old dies in car crash

by Paul Moulton

14 year old dies in car crash - picture

Police have confirmed that a 14 year old has lost her life in a car crash on Saturday night.

Emergency Services were called to the Switchback Road around 11pm where one vehicle was found with eight teenagers, including the deceased, named locally as Lucia Porter.  A number of young people were taken to Nobles Hospital, five are still receiving treatment to their injuries and two have been released. The police want to hear from any witnesses who were in that area. They are not seeking any other vehicles in connection with the crash.

Dozens of tributes have already been posted to Lucia's Facebook page.

Lucia's Mother, Julie Porter said:

"It is with a heavy heart that I let people know that my daughter Lucia has passed away after being involved in a car accident last night.

She will be missed more than words can express and I can't begin to explain the sadness we all feel.

Sleep tight Lucia and you will be in my heart for ever.'
 
She also went on to thank everyone for the kind words that have been sent to her daughter's Facebook page.
 
Lucia's friend Jack Bridson, who had been on the phone to her just hours before the accident, told MTTV: 'Lucia was a great girl, she always had a smile on her face, she would always show love and respect for others, she wouldn't fail to make everyone laugh, all the good memories are still with us. Rest in peace Lucia."
 
The police have issued the following statement:

The Isle of Man Constabulary are investigating the circumstances of a road traffic collision in the west of the Island where tragically a young fourteen year old girl has lost her life. At 11:14pm on Saturday 8th March 2014 Emergency Services were called to the road known locally as the Switchback near to Peel, Isle of Man. At the scene, a field adjacent to the road, one vehicle was found and was believed to have contained eight teenagers including the deceased.  A number of young people were taken to Nobles Hospital five currently still receive treatment to their injuries and two have been released. Support is being given to the family of the deceased. The Isle of Man Constabulary sends its condolences to the family at this tragic time. The Constabulary wish to hear form any witnesses who were in that area or have seen a small white vehicle about that time in the West of the Island or surrounding area.
 
A local media website had posted a picture of the scene of the accident but the Constabulary has asked that the image be removed out of sensitivities to the family.
 

Bringing You Isle of Man News and Sports Items


Send your press releases to: webmaster@manx.net
Got a news story: Contact Joanne Clague on 340000 or email newsdesk@manx.net
For MTTV news: contact Paul Moulton on 310000 or email news@manx.net

Service Status Virus Scan